Saturday, March 1, 2014

THE ROADPATH TO A FACELIFT


When Dr. Stephanides asked me to write about the reasons that compel us to have a facelift, it got me thinking.  As always, I tried to research the topic, finding all the possibilities that exist, and then having compiled all the information, I would sit and write the piece.  But this was entirely different.  However much I read, however much I gathered, I could not detach myself from the topic.  For the first time in my writing years I found it impossible to see the big picture and act as the third person or the observer … I am too involved in this.  Allow me to explain!

Being in my mid-40s, and having already gone through the shocking mirror moment, where I actually looked and looked and kept looking at the mirror, in an attempt to find the vibrant image I was used to seeing in the mirror, I realized that I was not a happy camper.  That moment felt just as if someone had ripped off all my self-esteem and my confidence.  Of course, it is said that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” but … being the “beholder” myself, and being my own worst and strictest critic, I was not looking at “beauty” anymore.  I was faced with the reality, I guess, that we do grow older and age comes accompanied by … unwanted side effects, if I may use that phrase.  And it’s not that I was thinking about impressing others … not at all, it was all about me, impressing me … and at that point, I was failing miserably. 

Instinctively, the old: “fight or flight” reaction, creped up on me.  However, knowing that I’m not a quitter and never was, the: “fine, I’ll stay miserable reaction” was not something I could do.  It was a matter of sitting and having a conversation with myself, in order to actually figure out the next steps …

And here are all the thoughts that went through my mind:
… I need my confidence back
… I do love and admire my inner self, thus I need to act for my inner self
… I am at the stage where the “nest” is empty, with my daughter at college, thus I have all the freedom I want and need
… I am through with my 24/7 obligations as a mother – no need to babysit anymore, no car rides … my daughter has spread her wings and is on her own path to the creation of her life …
… I have dedicated myself to my daughter for the past 20 years, so now it’s the time to look at me, for a change
… I may be going through mid-life crisis but then again I may not
… I have been divorced for quite a long time now, with a partner, and happily so, but maybe I need to “refresh” myself - not the relationship but me!
… Other friends of mine have done something for themselves, even if they were in a long, happy marriage and wanted to feel and look younger or were divorced and thinking about getting out “on the market” again.
… I need to act now, before it’s too late, and prevent, or at least slow down, the stages of aging.  I need to be proactive!
… I don’t want to change me or alter my natural characteristics.  That’s not what it’s all about.  All I want is to re-create my younger me … be able to look at the mirror without scaring myself and running away like crazy
… I’m not over exaggerating, I’m not freaking out, I’m not losing it, and I don’t believe in the “one size fits all” approach to life, but I need to act, and I need to do it now 
… Do I have valid reasons? Oh yes, all my reasons are valid … and I’m ready to “face it” … I need a FACELIFT.

Ok, this is it … Dr. Stephanides asked for an article on facelifts.   And what does he get? Well, a person wanting and being ready for a facelift. 
Sorry Doc!!!

Image from: 
http://www.deceptology.com/2013/11/whats-happened-to-this-womans-beautiful.html  

No comments:

Post a Comment